The conditions for a symbiotic relationship between buildings and the urban environments they form and occupy are the main concern of the Sustainable Environmental Design (SED) Master’s programme. Knowledge and understanding of the physical principles underlying this relationship, along with the conceptual and computational tools to translate them into an ecological architecture and urbanism, form the core of the taught programme. With close to 60 students from some 30 countries that encompass different climates, this year has contributed a wealth of new projects to the programme’s continuing research agenda on Refurbishing the City, which has initiated over 300 projects in 70 cities. Common objectives of all projects in SED are to improve environmental quality in cities, achieve independence from non-renewable energy sources and develop an architecture of sustainable design. Projects are based on real sites and specific environmental design requirements, which are focused on the inhabitants of these areas as well as being climate-responsive. The generative process is driven by strict performance criteria following a process of adaptive architecturing that proceeds from inside to outside, attuning the built form to natural rhythms and inhabitant activities. Term 1 focused on case studies of selected urban schemes in London. These involved field measurements to assess environmental performance, followed by computer modelling and parametric analysis to investigate potential for improvements. The findings of these case studies provided starting points for Term 2 design briefs that explored responses to climate change, technical developments and lifestyle trends for London. Terms 3 and 4 are devoted to dissertation projects that this year are set in over 50 locations around the world. The following pages highlight one of the Term 2 projects located in London alongside a representation of MArch design dissertations that illustrate the current research of the programme.
Guest Speakers and Invited Critics
Meital Ben Dayan
María José Manga
Refurbishing Catalinas Norte
The “Catalinas Norte” development is an 8 ha plot along the river bank, cut off from the city by the 60 metre wide Alem Avenue. Over the past 30 years, ten free-standing towers were built on this plot occupying less than 20% of the site with complete disregard for the remaining 80 percent. The research conducted for this project focuses on the effects of three additional towers currently under construction on the site. The design proposals are tailored to the climate of the city with its intense outdoor activities exploring the atmosphere created by subtle variations of the environmental parameters at different times of the day and year.